Friday, February 7, 2014

Two Little Words

I just love watching children learn to talk. It's one of my favorite things about being a parent. I love watching them acquire new sounds, putting them together to make words, and combining words to communicate sentences.

Paxton is at a fun stage of language acquisition. He understands everything, but can only verbally say a couple dozen words or so. Recently, he's started combining his words. I love it. Below are a few interactions we've had recently.

Me: "Paxton, it's so warm in the bed, isn't it? Are you warm?"
Paxton: "Nooo. Cold."

After listening to Pax cry and whine, I asked him: "What's wrong, baby?"
Paxton: "Ow teeeeeeef (teeth)."
Me: "Oh my, do your teeth hurt? In your mouth?"
Paxton: "Yeah. Mouf (mouth)."

As Gavin was coming close to him, Pax yelled, "Nooooo! Wawa mine!"
(Wawa is Paxton's word for apple)

Me: "We have to go upstairs and get Daddy's keys."
Pax: "Yeah. Keys car-car. Daaaadaaaaaaaa!"


I can't wait to watch him mess up grammar. That's also one of my favorite stages.

No comments: