Friday, April 6, 2012

"That's a contraction?"

This is what I said to the nurse at the hospital yesterday while I was apparently having a contraction.

Before you get too freaked out, let's get a couple things straightened out. Yes, I was sent to the hospital yesterday. And yes, I was having contractions. But I'm back home now. 

Okay, onto the story.

Yesterday, I went to the doctor for my weekly cervical check. Two weeks ago (we didn't measure anything last week), I was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced. Yesterday, I was 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. So, my doc sent me to the hospital for monitoring to see if I was having any contractions. They ask me every week if I'm having any and I always say "No." Apparently, I don't know what contractions are because when I made it to the hospital and was hooked up to the monitors, I was definitely contracting. Every 2-3 minutes.

The nurse said that they were very mild, but that they were definitely happening. During a couple of them, she had me touch my stomach to feel what it was like. Well shit, I've had that feeling before. I just thought it was the baby's head pushing out. It didn't hurt (it was just uncomfortable) and it was only a small portion of my belly that was tight. So they monitored. And monitored. And monitored.

I also received a shot to try to stop the contractions. It worked. I went from consistent contractions every 2-3 minutes to an entire hour with no contractions. My cervix was checked again and it was the same. So, they let me go home.

I'm supposed to go back if I have consistent contractions or contractions that increase in severity. But, having a few here and there is apparently nothing to worry about.

By the way, I'm 31 weeks tomorrow.
  • Three weeks left 'til I can safely deliver at our hospital here in town (if I go into labor- and they can't stop it- prior to 34 weeks, I will most likely be sent to Charlottesville, which is about 45 minutes away). 
  • Four weeks left 'til I'm off bed rest.
  • And, nine weeks left 'til I reach my actual due date (June 9th).

Side note: when Wes and the twins came to pick me up at the hospital, Vivian said, "You have the new baby, Mommy? I want to see her." (Side note to the side note: Don't worry, we still don't know the sex of the baby. Vivian always calls the baby a girl/sister and Gavin always calls the baby a boy/brother. Of course.)

1 comment:

ali said...

This baby is already soo loved! Thanks for keeping us posted:)