Wednesday, May 8, 2013

She's a Little Anxious

I don't know what's been going on with Vivian in the last few MONTHS, but she's been acting anxious just about every single morning that I drop her off at school in the morning. Sometimes she just requires an extra hug (or 2 or 3 or 4), but other times, she throws a full-blown fit (screaming, grabbing me as if she's falling off a cliff, and sometimes even flailing on the floor) about me leaving. It's ridiculous. But it's also pretty sad. She looks so genuinely upset and I generally end up staying for longer than I would like.

And I've tried everything. Sometimes it works if I give her to a teacher to hug while I walk out. Other times, she's okay if I leave her eating a snack at the breakfast table. But for the most part, she expresses some kind of sadness when I say that it's time for me to go. The worst part is that on the way to school, we talk about what's going to happen when I drop her off and she says (without hesitation and with excitement most times), "I not gonna cry! I gonna give you a hug and kiss and you gonna leave!" She understands what's going to happen; there are no surprises. She even recites "the plan" to me before we get inside. But then we walk through the doors and her anxiety takes over. She forgets about her enthusiasm in the car and she begins to break down.

It's not shyness either. This is the same girl who introduces herself and asks others to disclose their names to her on a daily basis. She does this with every single cashier, other child, or anyone who waves at her. She'll compliment a stranger on her purse or hat and she'll proudly (and loudly) thank people who deserve it. So, I don't think its because she's shy.

I tell myself that it's just a phase and that she's done this before and gotten through it, but the fact that she's almost 4 years old and that her brother only rarely pitches a fit about me leaving has me questioning my diagnosis.

Oh well. I guess we'll just have to ride this phase out.

No comments: