Thursday, August 18, 2011

He's a Rebel

Wes recently tried to give Gavin a hair cut while I was at work. He apparently sat still for all of 5 minutes and then screamed and squirmed in a quite ridiculous manner. When I came home, only half of his head was trimmed. And he wouldn't let Wes finish.

After about an hour, I asked him if Wes could cut his hair again. "No, Mommy cut."

Okay. So, I sat him down and started trimming. Then, I cut a huge hole in his hair on the back of his head. Shit.

It looked like he was going to have to get a buzz cut. But, we hadn't even touched the top of his head yet. So, he got a mohawk. Adorable.

The next day, I took G & V grocery shopping. Vivi sat on her pillow pet in the back of the cart and Gavin sat in the seat up front. This arrangement works out rather well for us. Gavin would never sit down the whole time (which is why he has to be strapped into the seat), but Vivi will. The downside to this arrangement is that Viv doesn't like it when the contents of the cart begin to cover her. So, once that starts, Gavin gets a lot of shit put on his lap and next to him. About 40 minutes into the shopping trip, Gavin began to demand strawberries from me. 

"Tawbewwy! Tawbewwy!" he yelled.

I replied, "Gavin, you can't have any strawberries right now. You'll have to wait until we get home."

"No, now!"

I thought to myself-- Where was this coming from? Gav and Viv are generally relatively good in the store. But today, Gavin was screaming at me in the produce section. Was it the hair? Did his new mohawk empower him to rebel against what I was saying?


Then, Gavin took this new found rebellion up a notch. "Tawbwwy, now!" he said. When I told him no for the 295th time, he began throwing stuff at me! He took everything off his lap, one thing at a time, and threw it out of the cart, at me! I'll admit that my first reaction was to laugh hysterically, but I refrained. Too bad all of the adults around me could not do the same. This just fueled Gavin's rebellious actions, which were now accompanied by loud giggles from both Viv and himself.

I tried to put everything back in the cart as quickly as he threw it out (while telling him to stop of course), but the laughter from the other shoppers just made Gavin throw stuff out faster than I could keep up.

He stopped after a few minutes and we went straight to the check out.

Maybe it is the hair. Damn mohawks.

No comments: