Wednesday, August 10, 2011

New Sleeping Arrangements

On Sunday, I put the kiddos down for their mid-day nap. They started talking to each other and laughing. After a few minutes, they settled down. Ahhh.

I got a large glass of iced tea, opened my computer, and put up my feet. Nice.

Then, I started hearing some noise. I heard knocking, tapping, and banging. But no talking. I listened. THUMP!

"Mooommmyyy!!"

I opened the door to see Gavin standing in the middle of the room, out of his crib, holding his Bunny. What. The. Hell. Interestingly, Vivi was still asleep in her crib.

I laid down on the "reading mattress" with Gavin until he fell asleep.

~~~~~

That night, I took apart Gavin's crib and brought in the second twin mattress (we bought it a few weeks ago because we figured that this day was coming). We made a big deal about it and told the twins that they were going to sleep in their big kid beds that night. Well, we didn't get to test out them going-to-sleep-on-their-own-in-their-big-kids-bed that night because we spent our bedtime routine in the ER.

But the next day (Monday) was a go. At nap time, I told G & V that they were going to sleep int heir big kid beds and they were super-pumped. I tucked each one into their respective beds and closed the door. 

They were up immediately--running around, yelling, laughing, talking, and jumping. But they weren't crying. So I let them stay in there.

Then I heard Vivi scream, "MOMMMYYY! ELLLLMMOO!"

I went inside to see ALL of their stuff (pillows, blankets, stuffed animals, sheets, etc.) thrown into Vivi's crib (which was still inside the room). And who do you think did this? Of course it was Mr. Gavin. I took it all out and told them that they could not do that again. I tucked them into their beds again while telling them about how they could fall asleep on their own. Then I left, and they fell asleep. Phew!

And when I checked on them 10 minutes later, Viv had made her way over to Gavin's bed and was snuggling on top of him. Precious.



~~~~~

The last two nights have been difficult for them. Wes and I have had to "sleep" with them for about 10 minutes until they nod off. And then someone has woken up scared in the middle of the night. But, it hasn't been so bad because now, we can just lay down on their twin mattresses (which are directly on the floor) with them instead of taking them out of their cribs and into our bed. We'll see how the next few weeks play out.


1 comment:

The Bluvas Blog said...

When Kav first started sleeping in a toddler bed, he would end up all over the room. One time, they looked at the monitor and he was on the floor completely blocking the door, sound asleep. It was hilarious. After several weeks of that, he stays in his bed and sleeps better than ever.