Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Our New Magic Potion

Vivian and Gavin are sick. Again. Stuffy nose, runny nose, and a nasty cough. Vivian's cough is much worse than Gavin's. This cough of hers makes it very difficult for her to sleep. Last Thursday, we put the kiddos to bed around 7:45 and then she just kept coughing and coughing and coughing for the next few hours. Around 10pm, I decided to turn to Google. I searched, "Stop toddler from coughing without medicine." As I read through the first 6 or 7 descriptions, they all seemed to be talking about the same remedy. I opened them all and read each one.

"Take your child's socks off, put their feet in warm water (or dampen them with a wet, warm towel),  and then slather (be very liberal) Vicks all over them. Put your child's socks back on and in 5-10 minutes, the coughing will stop and your child will sleep all night long."

What the hell? Site after site said the same thing. Wes and I thought this was a crazy idea, but we were also sick and tired of poor Vivi crying and coughing... and crying. So, we did it. She hated taking her socks off and she really hated getting her feet wet, but it was over soon and then I rocked her to sleep. She fell asleep almost immediately and stopped coughing about 10 minutes later! She didn't cough anymore ALL NIGHT LONG. And, she slept until 7:30am!!! It was unbelieveable! We did it again the next couple of nights with the same results!

I'm not really sure why it works, but who cares? It works!

3 comments:

Maren said...

That is AWESOME. I have never heard of that, but I'm trying it the next time we're in that situation. (I wonder if it would work on bigger kids too?)

The Bluvas Blog said...

A cashier at Publix told me about this but I blew it off and we all endured the same coughing you were talking about. Next time, I'll try it! Question: Do you dry the feet before you slather on the vicks? The wet/warm cloth part wasn't mention by my doctor (I mean, the Publix cashier).

Jennie said...

@Maren- The websites said that this would work on anyone of any age.

@Erin- Nope. Apparently the warm water opens the pores on their feet.