Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cervix Update

A lot of you have asked me questions about my progress. Well, I just got back from a doctor's appointment and I thought I should just write it all out.

The problem I'm having in this pregnancy is a short cervix. This is a problem because if one's cervix gets too short, one could go into preterm labor. Here's a picture of what's going on:

They not only measure the length of my cervix, but they can also tell if the "bottom" of the cervix is open or not. Here's the breakdown about how things have been going since the end of February:

  • Sometime in the beginning of February: my cervix was 53-55mm and open
  • February 24th (I was about 25 weeks pregnant): my cervix was 14-16mm and open (this is when I was sent to the hospital for monitoring, a steroid shot, and more tests. And it was when I was put on strict bed rest, which still totally sucks.)
  • March 2nd (I was about 26 weeks pregnant): my cervix was 24-29mm and open
  • March 8th (I was about 277 weeks pregnant): my cervix was 20-20mm and closed
  • Today (I'm about 28 weeks pregnant): my cervix is 13-16mm and open
This is not good. I have to go back to the doctor tomorrow to have a fetal fibronectin test. The result of this test is either positive or negative. Negative would mean that going into labor in the next 2 weeks is not likely. A positive result, however, could mean two things: (1) going into labor in the next 2 weeks is imminent or (2) it could be a false positive (which, apparently, is very common). I've had this test done before (on February 25th) and it came back negative. But that was about 3 weeks ago. Fingers crossed that it's also negative tomorrow.

That's the update. For now.

5 comments:

Rebecca D. said...

We are thinking of you Jennie. I have my fingers crossed for your test!

Anonymous said...

this road you are on is not a fun one. i think about you every day and how hard it must be to sit still with two little ones demanding attention and needing your help. dang, i wish you still lived across town.

i heart the hell out of you.
kw

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you every day. I can only imagine the challenges. Here's wishing we all lived across town.

BB

Jennie said...

I wish i could "LIKE" all of these comments! Love you, girls!

Elizabeth and Mark said...

Love you and the three of your little ones so much! Think of you all and say a little prayer every day!