Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Purple Desk

When my grandmother passed away a few years ago, I got a few pieces of her furniture. The furniture went in our basement and I've slowly brought some of it up to re-vamp and make my own. In fact, I've already blogged about some of my DIY projects from items that were my grandma's, including a lamp (see HERE) and two chairs (see HERE and HERE).

Well this weekend, I decided to re-do her old sewing machine desk to put in my office at JMU. Before we started, I took out the sewing machine. This is what it looked like before I did anything to it:

After a significant amount of sanding, a few coats of deep purple paint, a few decoupaged sheets of "love letter" tissue paper, and some spray painted hardware, it was complete!
I just love it! And it was SO CHEAP! 

Here's the run down:

Desk: FREE
Purple paint: FREE 
(I actually got TWO free cans of paint a couple of months ago when
Ace Hardware had a coupon for one free quart of paint for one day.
I printed off two coupons and made my mom go in and get the second quart.)
Spray paint for hardware: $4
"Love Letter" tissue paper: $3

Total: $7!


Looks good to me!

No comments: