Thursday, November 15, 2012

On top of everything else...

... I now have a plugged milk duct. Seriously? No really, on top of the 10 weeks of bed rest, the multiple medical interventions to keep Paxton incubating in utero as long as possible, and the excessive lipase issue (which I'm still experiencing, by the way), now I have to deal with this shit? Great.

And now because I like to write things like this down and because I'm sure there are at least a handful of you might want to know about it, let me start at the beginning. Earlier this week, I starting having a sharp pain in one of my baby feeders. I sort of ignored it and didn't think much of it. Then, the pain got worse. So I googled for a bit trying to find an answer. Google led me to two answers: it was either a plugged milk duct or mastitis. I read on. It was definitely a plugged milk duct.

Wonderful.

The worst part about this isn't the pain (but it's definitely a very close second). The unbelievably awful side effect of this whole thing is the low milk supply; I can barely feed Paxton. We haven't had to supplement yet, but it's been a rough few days. Instead of Paxton eating a large meal every 4-5 hours, he's now eating much less every 2-3 hours. And at night, he wants to eat every 1.5-2.5 hours!

The good news is that a warm compress every few hours seems to be helping and I feel a lot better today than I did the last few days. But, my milk supply is still low. Here's hoping that I can recoup this weekend.

No comments: