Monday, September 10, 2012

His Dresser

The dresser we're using for Paxton's nursery was mine when I was little. My parents got it for me when I got my own room at age 7. It was a creamy gold-ish, tan-ish color with really huge, hideous drawer pulls that looked like duck bills (at least that's what I though they looked like when I was little). When Wes and I moved to Alabama, we painted it black and used it as our dresser in our master bedroom. It traveled with us to Indiana and then here to Virginia. I didn't keep it black for the last 7 or so years because I liked it; I just couldn't ever think of another color to paint it. And we were a little busy getting married and raising a few kids.

Well, it has now been passed down to Pax. I decided to paint it off white and use a vinyl wall decal on the front. I've been painting it every few days for the last month or so (painting a dresser from black to white with no primer takes several coats) and I finally finished it this morning!

Before we get into the transformation, here's another diagram to show where the dresser is located in his nursery...
The dresser is on the wall to the right when you walk in the room. And when the door is open, it fits perfectly between the open door and the closet door. Okay, back to the best part: the before and after shots!

Here's our banged-up black dresser (the before shot):
And here it is after the first couple coats of paint:

I perused the Internet for weeks looking for the perfect decal to put on the front. I finally found it on Etsy (of course!) and it arrived this morning! Wes and I put it on while all three kids were napping (awesome!).

Once I put all of the handles back on and styled the top, it was done.
And I was in love, yet again (I've been in love with everything in his new room).
Isn't it so cute? I can't handle it. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that a couple of weeks ago, Vivian and I put a few random owls around the room and one made it on the side of the dresser. She's so proud of her work that has told people about it several times over the last couple of weeks.
One more time!
Here's the BEFORE:


And here's the AFTER:

Paxton's nursery is really coming together (it's currently my favorite room in the house). In fact, it's almost DONE! Stay tuned for more posts in the coming days...

Click HERE to read even more about his Woodsy Owl nursery transformation. 

1 comment:

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I LOVE the owl on the side of this piece! it's the icing on the cake!
found you at better after.

Pinning!
great job!
gail