Friday, May 11, 2012

3rd Birthday Festivities

Wednesday, May 9 was the twins' third birthday. Wes and I can't believe it's been three years since they were born. While we plan to have a bigger party for the twins sometime after baby #3 arrives, we did get to do a few birthday things on Wednesday with just the four of us.

When they woke up Wednesday morning, I asked them if they wanted to help me make French Toast. Vivian immediately declined (which was quite a surprise) and begged for birthday doughnuts. Her request sounded like a great idea to Gavin and made my life easier, so Wes made a trip to our local 7-11 (which is conveniently located about 2-3 blocks from our house).


The sugar rush was insane. We have never let them each have an entire glazed doughnut before and it definitely showed. Before nap time, G & V were given their first gift of the day (blue sunglasses), we all played with some Play Dough (Thanks, Auntie Bird & Uncle Joe!), and we lounged outside.

After nap, we got ready to open presents.


This year, I made their gifts. Vivian got a new purse (which we bought) and a set of pretend makeup. I took a few of my old eye shadow cases and emptied the eye shadow. Then, I filled each slot with a different nail polish color and waited for it to harden. I made 4 cases, but I only gave her 2 so she would have more if/when these are broken by Gavin. Vivian was so in love with it all. She has put on her makeup several hundred times and has even said that she had to put some on before school this morning.


Lately, Gavin has been bringing me pieces of paper, telling me it's my mail, and explaining that he is a "mail carrier." So we thought it would be fitting to make him a mailbox and mail for his present. I covered a box with various pieces of scrapbook paper, cut a slot near the top for the mail, and cut out a door near the bottom so he could retrieve the mail. Then it was time to cover the entire thing in layers of packing tape. Gavin is a bit destructive, so I wanted to increase the chances of this thing lasting more than a few hours. I also made rectangle and square pieces of "mail," covered them in paper, wrote our names on them (each member of our family has 2 pieces of mail), and taped them the hell up. I think Gavin might have the most sturdy mail in town.

Overall, it was a great birthday at home. I can't wait til their party!

3 comments:

Brenda Berkelaar said...

Impressive!

Pamela M said...

You are so CREATIVE! Best presents ever, Jennie!

Erin said...

omg Jennie...you gotta put that make up idea on pinterest! so cute and clever!!!!!